There are a number of other great organisations that offer specialist suppport and information services for children, young people and their whānau.
If you haven't found what you are looking for on our website, you may find something useful here.
If you, or someone you know, is feeling suicidal please call 111.
Free Children's Phone Lines to call so that you can talk to someone and get help and support
- Kidsline - info and telephone counselling for children age 9 to 13 years old
- Whatsup - counselling phone line for children and young people 5 - 18 years old, available 7 days a week between 1pm to 11pm, staffed by trained counsellors.
- Need to talk? - free text or talk to a trained Counsellor - dial 1737
- No Bully - info for kids and parents about bullying
If violence happens
- What’s OK at home - WOAH is an organisation called Domestic Violence Resource Centre (DVRCV) that make websites, videos, apps, brochures, posters and lots more to help people understand what family violence is.
- Are you OK?
- Women’s Refuge
For children facing their own health or disability challenges
- Growing Up With Medical Problems - for kids and teens
When a parent has an illness
- Puzzles, pictures and paper airplanes - What do we do when our parents get sick?
General Parenting Support
- Parenting Place (NZ) Hot Tips for Parents - excellent downloads to choose from, according to the age of your child
- Kiwi Families - Passionate Parents (NZ) Tips for Parents - free resources about raising children in New Zealand.
- Ages and Stages - how your child grows and develops (0-5 yrs) - by SKIP (NZ)
- Dealing with Tantrums (0-5 yrs) - by SKIP (NZ)
- Understanding Your Child's Temperament (0-5 yrs) - by SKIP (NZ)
- Managing Your Child's Behaviour (0-5 yrs) - by SKIP (NZ)
- Tips on Managing Stress as a Parent - by SKIP (NZ)
- Listening to Children - improving communication with your child (UK)
- The Goldfish Guide to Raising Optimistic Kids - a download booklet (USA)
- A Positive Approach (US) - info for parents parenting teens
- Great Activities to Help your Children become more Optimistic (USA)
- Great Activities to Help your Children become more Resilient (USA)
- Stress in Children and Adolescents: Tips for Parents (USA)
- Taking Time to be a Dad - by SKIP (NZ)
- Loving Being a Mum - by SKIP (NZ)
Shared Parenting, or Co-Parenting
- Planning for Shared Parenting - a guide for parenting apart (USA)
- Co-Parenting Guidelines after a Divorce (USA)
Parenting a Child with Special Needs
Supporting Anxious Children
When Children Have Attachment Issues
General family support links
- Community and Family Services Directory for locating support for your family near you - this is excellent
- Family Times - a selection of useful information for New Zealand families
- Parents Inc - offers programmes and resources for NZ parents
- Barnardos - support and information for NZ families
- Parents Centre New Zealand
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren - support and information for grandparents who are raising their grandchildren
- Jigsaw - an active network of child protection services throughout New Zealand
- The New Zealand Family Violence Clearinghouse - offers info and resources on family violence prevention
- Tough Love NZ - support for parents of kids with extreme behaviour issues
- Oranga Tamariki - for help when children are at risk, and for info about adoption and parenting
- Victim Support NZ - provides info and support to NZ victims of crime
- Suicide Prevention Information NZ - suicide prevention info, research and projects in New Zealand
- Relationship Services - info and resources available on family relationship issues
RESILIENT (NZ) helps individuals, families, organisations and communities prepare for and get through critical incidents. Provides peer support, crisis response teams, training workshops and leadership training. Contact them on (06) 353 8383.
Community Resilience (NZ) Enhancing the resilience of urban communities to natural hazard events.
Trauma Support Websites
Supporting Children and Teens
Understanding Child Traumatic Stress – How psychological trauma in children differs from trauma in adults. (The National Child Traumatic Stress Network)
The Australian Child & Adolescent Trauma, Loss & Grief Network - helpful articles and resources relating to supporting children and teens after disasters or trauma
PTSD in Children and Adolescents (USA Dept of Veteran Affairs)
About Traumatic Stress and Managing It
For Professionals and Support Workers
A Brief Description of EMDR Therapy – (EMDR Network)
Please note Skylight does not provide EDMR Therapy
Trauma, Attachment, and Stress Disorders: Rethinking and Reworking Developmental Issues – brain-based view of emotional trauma and its impact on children. (Trauma Resources)
When someone special has died
If you know someone is in prison PILLARS NZ
See also bereavement links for children and young people.
Help Guide - coping with grief and loss, support for bereavement
Bereavement by Age Group (children and teens) (NZ)
Victim Support NZ - provides info and support to NZ victims of crime
Winton's Wish - supporting bereaved children, teens and their families (UK)
Bereaved Families of Ontario - support for bereaved families (Canada)
Dougy Centre - grief support for children, teens and parents (USA)
HELLO GRIEF! - excellent US grief support site
Complicated Grief - Mayo Clinic (USA)
Explaining Death to Children
My Grandad Plants People!- a simple and very engaging guide for grown-ups when children ask tricky questions about death by Chris Earl of P&SW Co-operative Society (UK)
When a Parent Has Died
When a Baby or Child has Died
What to do when your child dies and experiencing grief after your child dies - information for parents and carers (NZ)
Miscarriage Support - a team of volunteers of various ages who have all experienced the loss of babies and would like to provide emotional support and information for women and their families during and after miscarriage and subsequent pregnancies.
Sands NZ Pregnancy, baby and infant loss support. Sands is a network of parent-run, non-profit groups supporting families who have experienced the death of a baby. We have over 25 groups/contact people around the country.
SIDS NZ is a national organisation of parents, families and friends of babies or young children who have died suddenly and/or unexpectedly of any cause, including SIDS.
Twin Loss NZ- A New Zealand wide group for those who have lost one or more or all their twins, triplets or more from early pregnancy to childhood and beyond, including the loss of a twin sibling in adulthood.
SIDS and Kids Western Australia - for parents experiencing miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal and SIDs death (Australia)
The Lost Ones - after the loss of a child through Miscarriage, Stillbirth or SIDS. Click on 'forum' for the discussion pages.
Helping Siblings after the Death of a Brother or Sister
After a Suicide
Survivors of Suicide - for those impacted by the suicide of someone close
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE)- suicide prevention info and giving a voice to suicide survivors
After a Drowning Death
Drowning Support Network for those bereaved by a drowning or aquatic accident of any kind. UK site in origin but open to all. Scroll down for all the various articles, including grief after a drowning.
Depression and Anxiety
- Beating the Blues - an effective New Zealand online depression and anxiety support programme
- ThroughBlue - a support group for women experiencing depression in Wellington
- Depression and mental health helplines
- Adult depression
- Youth depression (the lowdown)
Disability and Illness Support
- Everybody - NZ health & disability community and an excellent range of support group listings
- Enable NZ - working to assist disabled people, families/whanau/hapū, employers, health professionals and disability support organisations
- Carers NZ - info and support for carers
- Auckland's Starship Children's Health - including child health info
- Parent to Parent NZ - offering support and networking for parents across NZ whose children face disability or health issues, as well as sibling support
- NZORD - NZ Organisation for Rare Disorders - provides NZ's central starting point for info about rare diseases, with an outstanding network listing of support groups nationwide
- Support for those bereaved by the death of a child or teen from an inherited, usually undiagnosed, cardiac condition
- Disability Information Service NZ
Helpful Medical Information for Kids and Adults
- Medical information for kids about all kinds of health issues
- Helpful medical information for adults
Parenting Through Serious Illness
- Discussing Serious Illness with Children (USA)
- Hospital and Emergency Room Visits: Tips for Preparing Children (USA)
Parenting a Child with a Disability or Serious Health Condition
- Tools for parents of children with disabilities and special needs
- Autism Spectrum Disorders: Primer for Parents and Educators
- New Zealand Cancer Society - helpful info and support
- Breast Cancer Support
- Sweet Louise
- The Leukaemia & Blood Foundation (LBF)
- Child Cancer Foundation - supporting children, teens and their families living with cancer in NZ
- Canteen - support to young cancer patients, their families, and friends
- Now What - support site for young cancer patients by Australia’s Canteen
- Real Time This is a place where young adults dealing with cancer can connect through a web-based peer support community.
- Pleural mesothelioma Support (USA)
- Depression helpline – free phone support
- Adult depression
- Youth depression (the lowdown)
- Anxiety NZ
- NZ Mental Health Foundation - offers mental health information and support resources
- SF Auckland supports families impacted by mental illness
- Not My Kid - for parents about a variety of mental health issues in kids and teens
- Stress in Children and Adolescents: Tips for Parents (USA)
Support for other Specific Illness, Condition or Disability
- True Colours - a Hamilton (NZ) based trust for children and young people living with chronic, serious or life threatening illness, and their families.
- Heart Children NZ (now known as @Heart)
- Autism NZ
- Kidney Kids NZ
- Muscular Dystrophy NZ
- Diabetes NZ
- Diabetes Youth NZ
- Stroke Foundation NZ
- Asthma NZ
- Alzheimer's NZ
- IHC NZ
- Heart Foundation NZ
- Arthritis NZ
Sexual Abuse, Assault, Violence
Sexual Abuse HELP Wellington - Wellington Sexual Abuse HELP works with survivors of sexual abuse and their whānau – of any age, gender or ethnicity.
Rape Prevention Education - Whakatu Mauri (Formerly Auckland Rape Crisis)
Provides information around crisis and sexual abuse issues. Their website can link you to Rape Crisis Centres around NZ that can provide free support, counselling (both phone and face-to-face), practical assistance, advocacy, and resources for women and children who are survivors of rape and/or sexual abuse. They also provide education and training for young people, parent groups and the wider community, especially in the Auckland region on preventing sexual violence and dealing with disclosures of abuse.
Prepair - a New Zealand based organisation that focuses on supporting NZ Women to navigate through relationships, emotional abuse, and self-love.